Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tiger Woods Syndrome .....


OH JACK – WE COULD USE YOUR HELP!

Rickie Fowler beats Mcllroy and Points for the first win of his career and I can honestly say I enjoyed witnessing it.  Tiger Woods missed the cut for only the 8th time in his career, and I can honestly say I enjoyed that even more!

Divot on 18 Green
Anyone who knows me can tell you - I am no fan of Tiger.  Quite frankly, I have found great pleasure watching his struggles on the course. He is no Jack Nicklaus – on or off the course - and in my opinion has no business ever topping him for number of major championships.  Jack’s shoes are too big for Tiger.  Too big!

Yes, Tiger lovers, I’ll give you this - Woods has accomplished many positives during his career.  He’s help to grow the game of golf by encouraging youth participation, setting attendance records at every event he’s a part of and, creating merchandising opportunities for courses throughout the world.

But, from the eye of this superintendent, it comes at a cost.

Think of the negatives we witness on a regular basis and have come to expect with every appearance.   You know the ones I am talking about – those nice guy role model moments gone terribly bad. Throwing (in some cases hurling) of clubs, profanity-laced tirades and constant disrespect of the course. This behavior is mimicked on courses from coast to coast. Just this weekend alone we had to repair 5 divots on our greens at Richter Park.  We work hard to create a positive experience and divots in the greens – those that should never happen - take away from the enjoyment of everyone playing the course.

As you enjoy your next round, whether at Richter or another great course, I ask that you leave the Tiger in you for the 19th hole.  And, on 1 – 18 make a more conscious effort to leaving the hole better than when you found it. Fix extra ball marks, rake a trap that was not groomed by a previous player or pick up trash left in a fairway or rough.

The gentleman’s game – Golf - needs more Jack Nicklaus’ on the course. The more we all work together the better the experience.

0 comments: